Self-care is really important to everyone, not just moms. However, self-care takes on a different meaning and importance once you bring a child into the world and have the responsibility to care for them. It becomes an act of giving to yourself as a mom so that you can give to your kids and those who rely on you.
Disclaimer: Some of the links may be affiliate and I may make a small commission if you make a purchase at no cost to you at all. Thank you for your support!
What Is Self-Care?
Before I became a mom, I thought self-care meant going to the spa once a month. Now I realize that it can and should come in many forms. I also understand that it should be an integral part of your day. One of the worst things you can do as a mom is to neglect yourself. Because if you fail to take care of yourself, you will be unable to take care of those who rely on you.
Self-care is basically doing activities that bring you joy and help relieve some of the stress you may encounter in your daily life. It is taking care of your physical, mental, emotional wellbeing, and essentially refilling your cup so you can be able to pour out to the various areas and people in your life.
Why Self-Care Is Important?
Being in quarantine has been tough on a lot of us, especially single mothers who have the burden of raising their children with little help. Being stuck in the house with kids can drive anyone up the wall. It becomes even more overwhelming when self-care is not taken seriously.
As a single mom, you have a lot of responsibilities. From caring for your children to taking care of household tasks and ensuring that your children are financially set. All of these responsibilities take from you. Whether it’s time, energy, peace, or sleep. When you don’t allow yourself to replenish, it can be detrimental to you and those around you.
Within the last month, I started a new online business, surpassed my YouTube goals, and even appeared on a major television show. All of these achievements were great, however, they came at the expense of my wellbeing. While taking care of my children, house, and accomplishing my career goals, I failed to take care of myself.
And the result of that has been burnout, depression, overeating, lack of sleep, and constant irritation. These are just some of the effects of trying to do too much while neglecting yourself. Before I truly understood why I was always cranky or always tired, I blamed it on my kids. “Oh it’s alot of work”. And that is true. Taking care of twins with little help is a lot of work but that wasn’t the reason I was always tired.
The negative effects I was experiencing were a result of my lack of care for myself. Lack of much needed “me time”; lack of exercise and eating well; and lack of proper planning to ensure that I made enough time for myself.
Making Self-care A Priority Allows You To:
- Avoid burnout and depression which may be caused by taking on too much and neglecting your mental health.
- Promotes a better self-image. When you care for yourself, you look at yourself differently. You appreciate yourself and your body more.
- Helps you have a better relationship with your kids. Taking time for yourself allows you to replenish which in turn makes it possible for you to give to your children.
- It makes you a happier, calmer parent. You are less likely to yell at your kids or get frustrated easily when you have allowed yourself to relax.
- Helps to reduce stress. Certain self-care activities such as exercising, getting enough rest, meditating, and journaling, can help you reduce stress.
What Happens When You Make Self-Care A Priority?
I have noticed that whenever I wake up a little early and do something for myself; be it waking up an hour early, taking a shower, and having some times to myself before the kids wake up, it completely improves my whole day.
- I feel more prepared and ready to handle the day.
- I feel more capable to handle any demands on me.
- I am usually happier and a lot nicer.
- I am more likely to devote more of myself to my children and avoid yelling which is a habit I detest.
The same would be true for you. If you find that you are always upset with your children or you are constantly depressed, then you may need to make self care a priority.
When we make self-care a priority, we are happier, calmer, and able to take care of our responsibilities without burning out or feeling overwhelmed.
How To Include Self-Care In Your Life
As a mom, it may be hard to find ways to take care of yourself. There are a lot of budget-friendly ways that you can use to make self-care a priority in your life. You can also find a complete list of activities you can do daily to ensure self-care is an integral part of your day here.
To include self-care in your life:
- Write down self-care activities you can do that you enjoy.
- Create a self-care calendar that allows you to plan out your self-care activities.
- Incorporate self-care into your routines.
- Be intentional about “me time” and take the necessary steps to make it a possibility.
Be intentional about self-care. Make sure that you are doing all that you can not to neglect yourself and don’t ignore the signs your body is showing you that you need to take better care of yourself.
How do you make self-care a priority in your life? Let me know in the comments.
Let’s continue this friendship we’ve started…
I am creating a community of single parents who are dedicated to winning despite the situation they are in and would love for you to join in!
Subscribe on YouTube • Like on Facebook • Follow on Instagram • Pin on Pinterest
☞ Did you find this post useful in some way? PIN it to your Pinterest Board 📌