One of my resolutions for 2020 is to read more and listen to more podcasts. Although I listen to audiobooks every day, I miss reading a hardcover book and just drowning in words. I used to read voraciously in high school and college! Friday nights would find me in my room consuming Shakespeare instead of at clubs getting drunk. Nowadays I have learned to settle for audiobooks I play at night as I go to sleep.
My nightly reading, or rather listening, consists of historical fiction by Phillipa Gregory. I LOVE her books and the narrators who read them, specifically Bianca Amato. I like to live vicariously through these historical reenactments; imagining how it would have been like to be one of King Henry’s wives lol! The horror!
All this to say that I really enjoy books and the knowledge that can be gained from them. Books have the ability to cheer us up, educate us, motivate us, challenge us, and take us to places we’ve never been to! That’s why I think you should prioritize reading this year as part of your self-care.
Disclaimer: Some of the links may be affiliate and I may make a small commission if you make a purchase at no cost to you at all. Thank you for your support!
Ways you can consume more Content in 2020
As I mentioned, I love listening to audiobooks! I especially love books that have been narrated by a great actor/actress. Audiobooks are perfect if you don’t have the time to sit down for a good read and can be listened to at any time! Most people listen to audiobooks when going to work as it helps them get through the commute. You can also listen to it at the gym, on a run, while cooking, with the kids, relaxing… the list is endless.
A great resource for access to millions of books is Audible. Audible is the world’s largest producer and provider of spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, enriching the lives of millions of listeners every day. Signing up for Audible gives you:
- 30 days of membership free, plus 1 audiobook and 2 Audible Originals to get you started.
- After trial, you’ll get 3 titles each month: 1 audiobook and 2 Audible Originals of your choice.
- Quick & easy exchanges. Swap any audiobook you don’t love.
- Cancel online anytime, but keep your entire library forever.
If you have a library card, you can download overdrive, where you can browse millions of books from different libraries. The best thing about Overdrive is that you can check out audiobooks and ebooks from the app, download them, and return them when done! This saves you the hassle of going to the library and it also saves you all the fees you could accrue from not returning books.
If you are not a book fanatic like me, Podcasts are another great way of consuming knowledge on a multitude of topics. You can listen to podcasts online or by downloading a podcast app on your phone.
Call me boring but I do enjoy thrifting for books! Thrift stores always seem to have great books at low prices. I have to admit that I am a collector of books. My library is full of thrifted books that I have been meaning to read but never get to. This year, I plan on going through and reading them.
Youtube is a great resource for information as well! If you don’t have access to any of the above-mentioned ways, you can find videos of audiobooks on YouTube. There are also different channels that summarize these books making it easy for you to digest the information in a short period of time.
Here are some books I will be reading this year and that you can add to your list.“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin Click To Tweet
- The 10x Rule – Grand Cordone
- Start with Why – Simon Sinek
- Nice Girls Don’t Get the Corner Office – Lois P. Frankel
- Pitch Perfect – Bill McGowan
- Extreme Ownership – Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
- The Intelligent Investor – Benjamin Graham
- The 4-Hour Workweek – Timothy Ferriss
- Outliers – Malcolm Gladwell
- Good to Great – Jim Collins
- Leaders Eat Last – Simon Sinek
- The Total Money Makeover – Dave Ramsey
- Secrets of Six-figure Women – Barbara Stanny
- The Wealthy Gardener – John Soforic
- The Millionaire Next Door – Thomas M
- Broke Millenial Takes on Investing – Erin Lowry
- I Will Teach You To Be Rich – Ramit Sethi
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad – Robert Kiyosaki
- You Are A Badass at Making Money– Jen Sincero
- Think and Grow Rich – Napoleon Hill
- MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom – Tony Robbins
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Stephen Covey
- Girl, Wash Your Face – Rachel Hollis
- Girl, Stop Apologizing – Rachel Hollis
- The Body Book – Cameron Diaz
- 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think – Laura Vanderkam
- Capital Gaines: The Smart Things I’ve Learned by Doing Stupid Stuff – Chip Gaines
- The Purpose Driven Life – Rick Warren
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck – Mark Manson
- How to Win Friends and Influence People – Dale Carnegie
- The Power of Habit – Charles Duhigg
- Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust – Imaculee Ilibagiza
- Infidel – Ayaan Hirsi Ali
- I Am Malala – Malala Yousafzai
- Becoming – Michelle Obama
- The Magnolia Story – Chip & Joanna Gaines
- Born a Crime – Trevor Noah
- Long Walk to Freedom – Nelson Mandela
- Native Son – Richard Wright
- 1984 – George Owell
- Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald
- To Kill A Mockingbird – Harper Lee
- Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
- As I Lay Dying – William Faulkner
- Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
Here are some of the podcasts I enjoy listening to and will continue to listen to this year:
There is it, the list of books I will be devoting myself to this year. Well, maybe 20 of them haha! I have read some of these books already but I loved them so much, I want to read them again!
I would love to know what you’ll be reading this year! Let me know in the comments and happy reading!